Friday, October 11, 2013

The Great Doughnut Fundraiser Conspiracy

Okay, so there's not exactly a conspiracy.  Probably.  But I'm so flipping frustrated with the endless stream of junk-food-based fundraisers at my kids' school.  It FEELS like a conspiracy to get as much junk food into every person's house as possible.  Pizza.  Candy bars.  Cobbler mixes.  And doughnuts.  These, to me, are the most insidious, because they're right there, in my kid's face.  Every other kid's parent (it feels like) is cooler than me.  They fork out the buck and let their kid eat the delicious, warm, crackly-sugared goodness that is the Krispy Kreme doughnut that has been delivered straight from the bakery to the hallowed halls of elementary school education.

I am not cool.  I do not want my kids to eat the deep-fried-in-crap-oil, coated-in-white-sugar confections.  I'm not opposed to the occasional treat, but I'd like to pick when it happens.  And I'd like to make sure it's as healthful a treat as I can manage and it still be considered treat-worthy by my kids.  So, when the doughnut-fundraiser notes came home in the bookbags earlier this month I made a mental note of the date (which I miraculously remembered WITHOUT writing it down; that should speak to how much the doughnut fundraiser pisses me off).  That date was today, a Friday in October.

Sidenote:  We are knee-deep in our very first ever soccer season.  Both girls are playing soccer for the first time ever, on different teams.  Between practices and games, we're committed 3-5 days/nights a week.  We got back from games/practice at 8:30PM last night.

Okay, so we get back home last night and everyone is hungry again, so I feed them snacks and get them all to bed.  After a quick cleanup, it's now 9:30PM.  Time to make the doughnuts.  I've used  this recipe before (with some modifications) and the whole family loved it, so I decided not to tinker with success.  The only change I made was the almond butter; I was out, so I subbed natural peanut butter instead.  The marriage of chocolate and peanut butter is famous for a reason, folks.

 
Full disclosure:  this is NOT a yeasty, firm-yet-delicate Krispy-Kreme-like doughnut.  It's far more like a cupcake in doughnut form.  Guess what?  My kids are 9, 6 and 2.  If it looks like a doughnut and is sweet, well then folks, you have yourself a doughnut.  HOWEVER.  A "real" doughnut is glazed.  I'm not sure how my 6 year old knows this, because she has never set foot into a doughnut shop, but she does.  Therefore, to make these truly worthy of doughnut-fundraiser-replacement-doughnuts, they required a glaze.  I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk and sucanat that I powdered in my coffee grinder at 4:50AM.  I thought the texture was a little grainy, but the kids LOVED it.
 
So yes, dear readers, I sent the kids to school each with a dollar and their own dang doughnut.  Doing my part to thwart the creep of Krispy Kreme into the schools.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! It's a great idea to do the donation minus the junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It works well for doughnuts... I'll have to see what I can do to replace the "reward" Skittles, birthday cupcakes, etc. :P

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you enjoy my recipe and I love the idea of using peanut butter. It's awesome to see others using what's on hand instead of just running to the store. Happy Donut Making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you! We LOVE your recipe so much!

    ReplyDelete